Friday, March 07, 2014

Who would believe it?

What would you do?

In today's reading (Luke 2:1-21) we find shepherds minding their own business, doing what they do every night - look after their sheep. I presume one night was pretty much like the next. But not this night! We have heard the story so often we are not surprised when the angels suddenly appear to the shepherds; but believe you me, the shepherds had no clue this was coming! 

Who will believe you if you tell them? "You were hanging out with your sheep at night - like usual? Then you saw ANGELS?? And bright lights and such? And they told you to go to 'the Town of David' (Bethlehem) to go to a stable? To see a Baby that has just been born and he will be in a feeding trough? Seriously? What did you have for supper? And you went? And it happened just that way? Really??"

And it really happened! It was confirmation that indeed God was doing what he had promised for hundreds of years. He was sending the Messiah - the Son of God - to rescue the world. An incredibly important point in the history of the world!

I cannot help but think about what I do when God shows up. What is my response? After all, God send His Spirit to live within us. When we put our faith in Jesus Christ, the Spirit of God comes to live within us. Just as amazing! And he guides us. Teaches us. Speaks to us. And yes, people may not believe us either.

The question is... will I keep what the Spirit tells me to myself? After all, we may seem like fools if we talk about it. What will I do with what God tells me today?

No comments: