Saturday, March 08, 2014

Three Questions - Three simply profound answers

Forty days of fasting in the wilderness (Luke 4:1-13)! Why?

Because Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit and the Spirit led him there. This was not some spiritual adventure of Jesus' choosing. He was full of the Spirit of God, and the Spirit led him to the wilderness. At the end, there were 3 challenging questions. And Jesus gave 3 Biblical answers which turned back the challenger.

Chances are, we all face those same 3 challenges at some point. They may just be phrased differently for each of us.

Q1. If you really are who you claim to be, prove it!
A1. “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’

The enemy loves to try to undermine our identity in Christ. He tries to get at us in the very areas where we may feel week and vulnerable. He tries to make us think we can do this on our own without God's intervention. We need to remember that our needs are often much deeper than what seems to be the pressing desire. And God can meet that need!

Q2: If you worship me, I can give you power and possessions! Everything you want!
A2: “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’

Idol worship - of course we would not participate in something so obviously pagan. But then... what consumes our time, energy and creative thought? I wonder what it is that gets us motivated and excited? I wonder what it is that I am tempted to serve - instead of God? God in the only One that is worthy of our worship. Everything else needs to be subject to our relationship with Him!

Q3: You are invincible! Go ahead, jump! God will protect you, won't he?
A3: “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’

I wonder how we put God to the test? "God, if you are really who you say you are, why am I struggling with this illness?" "Why can't I get that job?" "Why did I not get that promotion?" The questions can seem so innocent and diverse. Somehow we expect God must prove himself to us - in the ways that WE demand or expect. God has proven himself over and over. I have seen it with my own eyes. Why should God do ANYTHING when the enemy puts doubt in our minds? God has proven himself. It is up to me to believe Him and TRUST Him!

No comments: