Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent 2014. My aim is to take time for daily reflection using the Gospel of Luke and N.T. Wright's book, "Lent For Everyone - Luke" as my guide. I will try to post about my reflections each day. Please forgive me in advance for those days whey I might not get to write on this blog.

Today's Bible reading is from Luke 1:1-56.

"11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear." 

How do we respond when God "shows up" when I am not expecting him? Are we "startled and gripped with fear?"

This passage introduces the reality that The Lord introduces HOPE into the world! The Virgin Mary is informed that she will have a son - conceived by the Holy Spirit of God. This Son - of God Himself - is the One the people have been waiting for. They now have hope like never before. If only they would recognize him!

I cannot help but be full of hope when I read these words in Luke 1. We live in a world that desperately needs hope. With all the chaos, struggle and hopelessness that many face around us, we need not despair - Jesus is our hope and he desires to enter the centre of the chaos and conflict and do what only He can do! Bring freedom! Will we allow him - even invite him in?

Here is a good article concerning Lent written by Mark D Roberts.

No comments: