Sunday, March 09, 2014

Deliverance Through Trial

Our reading for Lent today is Psalm 91:1-2, 9-16. Essentially this Psalm states that whoever trusts in God and depends on Him will find safety. Verses 14-15 state:

“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.


It is important to note that the Psalmist does not say that God will keep us from facing trouble. Nor will we be kept from struggles such as ill health, financial decisions and relational issues. However, in whatever we face, the Lord will be with us - and will ultimately bring deliverance. 

It makes me wonder what I consider to be considered deliverance. 

God's concern is not that we have an easy life where we can become fat and lazy. He intends for us to become what he wants us to become. And that means we will face tough stuff. That is not necessarily pleasant. But it is worthwhile.

We can always have the confidence that whatever we face, God is aware and nothing will happen to me today without passing through my Father's hand.

No comments: