Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It's All About Love

One of the most read and ignored chapters in the Bible is 1 Corinthians 13. Go to a wedding and what are you inclined to hear?

It's all about LOVE!

We quote this chapter in such romantic events and sing about it in our love songs. Then what? And what is it really talking about anyway?

 1If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
- 1 Corinthians 13

Just prior to this passage Paul is writing to the church and talking about spiritual gifts. Everyone who comes to faith in Christ receives spiritual gifts to be used as God directs. It is the power of the Spirit of God at work within us. And as we read the list of spiritual gifts we begin to categorize them and give special place to those who have certain gifts - and ignore others.

That is when Paul gets personal. "You can have all the gifts, do all kinds of things - even for God, but if you don't have love, it useless. Love is the key.

And how much priority do we put on love - and the demonstration of love toward others?

No comments: