Friday, March 30, 2012

The Plight of A Prophet (Pastor)

Kind of sounds like he might be a pastor. People watching him to see if he might slip up. In Jeremiah 20 we read,

10I hear many whispering,
“Terror on every side!
Denounce him! Let’s denounce him!”
All my friends
are waiting for me to slip, saying,
“Perhaps he will be deceived;
then we will prevail over him
and take our revenge on him.”

It is fascinating how friends and even fellow Christians can watch leaders (especially pastors) to see if they will slip up. To see if they will make any mistakes - and then judge them. As a pastor you know this comes with the territory.

I used to use the describe it this way.... When you are new in ministry of the church you start at the bottom. Every time you do something good, you are raised up in people's minds. However, once you become a pastor, you are put on a pedestal and every time you make a mistake (of any kind) you drop in people's minds. As a pastor, there seems to be no way but down.

Sounds like Jeremiah 20. But just as for Jeremiah the Lord is with us.

11But the LORD is with me like a mighty warrior;
so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail.
They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced;
their dishonor will never be forgotten.
12LORD Almighty, you who examine the righteous
and probe the heart and mind,
let me see your vengeance on them,
for to you I have committed my cause.

And because the Lord is with us we can sing with confidence!!

13Sing to the LORD!
Give praise to the LORD!
He rescues the life of the needy
from the hands of the wicked.

No comments: