Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Conditional Clauses

We don't like them! If we are honest, we would prefer the "if's" were removed from the following statements.

31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
33They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”
34Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed....
42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me.
- John 8

In his dialogue with the Jews, Jesus made some statements that are quoted frequently. The problem is, we don't read them as conditional statements. For example...

We quote part of verse 32 "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free" and we apply it to any situation where it is convenient or beneficial to us. And expect to experience freedom - as we decided according to our terms. Somehow we miss the first part of that conditional statement. "IF you hold to my teaching." This statement indicates that we will be set free if we LIVE out the teaching that God has given to us. Knowing information is not enough. We need to live it. And it needs to be God's truth - not just whatever we claim to be our truth.

And "IF the Son has set you free - you will be free indeed."

And "IF God is your Father, you will love me..." Jesus said.

I guess that means that in our relationship with God, we have a responsibility.

No comments: