Sunday, October 22, 2006

Marriage

You know you are in for an interesting wedding when the best man says “The last time I spoke in front of this many people I was found guilty and fined $400.” He did have a great quote though. It went something like this… “May your marriage be modern enough to survive with the times and traditional enough to last forever.”

This past weekend I had the privilege of performing a wedding. I could not help but think of the day my wife and I were married. We made a covenant before God to love each other and remain faithful and committed to one another for life. One of the guests at our wedding asked me later how we could be so confident that our marriage would last for life.

How does a married couple keep the covenant made at their wedding? When I think about the fact that I plan to be married to this woman for 60 plus years (should we live that long), what do I want this life to be like? I want life to be the best that it can be – for both of us. In order for that to be true, I need to do my part to make our relationship the best that it can be. This takes intentional effort and I believe it takes God’s help. May you seek God’s help as you commit to making your marriage the best that it can be – for life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are "convenient" marriages sacred in the eyes of God if there is no real love, no real connection, no real passion?

Is staying together "for the kids" truly noble and sacred when the outcome for the children will be to learn to settle as well, and to recreate the same loveless cycle????