Thursday, October 19, 2006

Balaam out donkey!

I wonder who calls the shots for us? Who pulls the strings?

Have you ever heard of Balaam? He was called by God to speak God’s word to the people. One day Balaam mounted his donkey to follow the instructions given to him by his Moabite king. Along the way his donkey refused to continue along the road. Balaam got mad and beat his donkey. Suddenly the donkey began to talk.

It is interesting that Balaam didn’t seem surprised. I have no idea what I would do if a donkey started talking to me. Unless I was Shrek or something.

Anyway, it was an angel of God who stood before the donkey to keep her from continuing down the road. Go ahead, read Numbers 22-24 for the whole story.

What is interesting to me is that the donkey recognized God’s intervention in the situation. Balaam had his eyes opened and began to speak God’s message rather than what his human superiors wanted him to say. Do you and I follow human promptings around us or do we follow God’s instruction. Do we even look for God’s input into our lives as we make decisions and plans for the future?

No comments: