Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Worship and the 5th Commandment

It is my father's 84th birthday today. Today I want to honour my father by telling you of some of the ways he has significantly shaped my life.
  • He loves God and does whatever he knows to and can to follow Him
  • He loves his family. When I was a young lad he took me along to where he worked - even when it was out of town. We had regular times of playing games together as a family.
  • He loved to travel and instilled that in me. I got to go along on several of trips when I was 10 and then when I was 16.
  • He was always early - we were always the first to arrive at church. I still prefer to be early.
  • He worked hard. I remember many times when he would be covered in sweat from his hard work.
  • He enjoyed music and led worship in church for years. Of course back then he was called a "song leader." We often sang together as family. Mom & Dad would sing together. And many times they would go to hospitals, senior homes, First Nations villages, and prisons to sing for people.
  • Although I never did get to see him play, I am told he was a good hockey player.
  • He heard me preach my first couple of sermons. The second one being at Miracle Valley, a rehab centre in the Fraser Valley.
  • He did what he could to reach out to those who needed Christ. Even sending out literature to those who may be open to listen.
  • Etc.

I don't think of it very often, but my Dad impacted my life in a major way. I thank him and honour him for being a man of God who cares enough to make a difference in this world - and particularly his family.

No comments: