Friday, February 19, 2010

Boredom in Worship

Today I want to share some reading with you. From "Times of Refreshing" with this section being written by Tom Kraeuter.

I remember the first time we took one of our children to a movie theater. Everything about the experience was fascinating for the youngster. Even before we got inside the building, just buying the tickets was an adventure. Of course, after that, giving the just-purchased tickets to the guy who rips them in half took some explaining. Walking down the softly lit corridor to the correct theater caused questions about all the other movies being shown. Choosing a seat was a big dilemma: Was the first row too close to the screen? Was the back too far away? Would somewhere in the middle be best? Which side of the aisle? Near the aisle or closer to the wall? By the way, where is the rest room?

Everything was brand-new. I had to keep reminding myself of that. Over my lifetime, I'm sure I've been to a dozen movies. This was old stuff for me. Though perhaps I had never been to this particular theater before, I had been to many movies. My child, on the other hand, was a first-timer. Everything he saw was a brand-new experience for him. There was a wonder and amazement that I had lost in the movie-going experience.

Once we've done something once or twice it becomes old hat to us. Our usual reaction today to practically anything in life is, "Been there, done that. " What would be the reaction of Wilbur and Orville Wright if they took a ride on a modern jet. Their first flight was the distance of the equivalent of the wingspan of a 747. We, on the other hand, get on a plane and open a book or magazine to keep from being bored.

Unfortunately, we can too easily have the same complacency in our worship. Over time we can become accustomed to the words, the actions, the emotions, the music and begin to tune it out.

On the other hand, in (Psalm 92:4-5), the psalmist said, "You make me glad by your deeds...I sing for joy at the works of your hands. How great are your works...how profound your thoughts!" These are not words of complacency. There is clearly a freshness and enthusiasm in these words.*


When you and I approach a "worship service" are we complacent or do we come with a sense of amazement and expectancy?

*Times of Refreshing: A Worship Ministry Devotional, Tom Kraeuter [ed], Training Resources Inc., 2002, p. 27.

No comments: