Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Breakforth

Breakforth Canada in Edmonton on the weekend was a wonderful experience. When the band began to play, we began to sing and I could "feel" the music, I began to weep as my whole being became engaged in worship.

For years, in many conservative, evangelical churches, we have been directed to worship with our minds alone - and maybe our mouths. Zwingli, the Swiss Reformer, taught that our senses should not be involved in our worship. He therefore removed musical instruments and any artwork from the Grossmunster in Zurich so that people would not be "moved" to worship but would choose to worship.

Are we really only to worship God with our minds? Are we not told to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength? Are we not to worship God with all of who we are? Does that not included the mind, emotions, body, etc?

At Breakforth, I picked up some materials on "Experiential Worship." Bob Rognlien teaches the very concepts that I have been thinking about for a number of years. I look forward to reading what he has to say.

I suspect that God intends for us, and invites us, to worship Him with our mind, soul, heart and strength. What do you think?

No comments: