Friday, March 28, 2014

Hakuna Matata

The Serenity Prayer has come to mind at different times recently. At strange times as well. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I suppose we might tend to be anxious about discerning what those things are that we can or cannot change. 

In Luke 12:22-32 we find the teaching of Jesus concerning worry. Of all the teachings of Scripture, one of the passages we frequently completely ignore is this passage. Some people wouldn't dream of committing adultery or of killing someone else. At least wouldn't admit to dreaming about it and certainly would never do it. But worry? No problem! Do that all the time.

And being obsessed with accumulating money and stuff? Much of our time and energy is spent on doing exactly that. Actually our economy depends on us indulging our desires and buying stuff.

Jesus did say... "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Luke 12:34) And, "seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." (Luke 12:31).

Today, may I live what Jesus taught. And don't worry, I'll be okay.

No comments: