Monday, March 31, 2014

Ready

We used to sing the words "Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning...." I am still not quite sure we really knew what we were singing about. And then there was the verse, "Give me gas in my Ford...." Talk about theologically deep songs!

However, in the passage I read this morning Jesus told his disciples "Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet..." This sounds strange to us because the culture into which Jesus spoke is foreign to us. Yes, we have wedding banquets - or at least receptions. But we go TO the wedding reception and the groom leaves the reception with his bride. And, we don't carry lamps and keep them burning.

None-the-less, we understand Jesus was not simply talking about weddings and banquets. He was talking about the need for his followers to be prepared at all times for something that may happen at any time - without notice. Just before he left this earth Jesus promised he would one day return and nobody knows when that will take place. It could be anytime.

The question is, are we ready? Would my life be what I would want it to be? Would I be in relationship with God the way I would want it to be should today be the day Jesus comes back? If not, what do I need to do to get ready. It is probably a good idea to get on with doing just that.

No comments: