Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Astonishing Advertising

What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus?

We live in a world of indulgence, plenty and ease of life. Most of us have much more than we need, yet not nearly all we want. We also live in a world where we need to spend money to keep our economy going. Therefore merchants spend incredible amounts of money on advertising - convincing us of our absolute need for their product if we are going to manage life in any kind of meaningful fashion.

We end up doing the same with Christianity. We try to convince people to come to faith in Christ by telling them of all the ways Christ will make their life better.

The fascinating thing is, Jesus did the exact opposite. He challenged people to follow him. In Luke 14 he talks about counting the cost before we build. And then goes on to say, "...In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples." (Luke 14:33)

This makes me ask the questions: Why am I a follower of Jesus? Is it because of what he will do for me? Is it because I know he is God and he alone is worthy of my adoration? Am I giving up everything to him to be his disciple?

No comments: