Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Worship and Work

I suspect we don't often think of our work as an act of worship. The following probobly isn't true, but is quoted from an unknown source in a book I am reading.

When you have had one of those take-this-job-and-shove-it-days, try this. On your way home, stop at your pharmacy and go to the section where they have thermometers. You will need to purchase a rectal thermometer made by the Q-tip Company. Be sure that you get this brand. When you get home, lock your doors, draw the drapes, and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed during your therapy. Change into something comfortable, such as a sweat suit, and lie down on your bed. Open the package containing the thermometer, remove it, and carefully place it on the bedside table so that it will not become chipped or broken. Take the written material that accompanies the thermometer. As you read, notice in small print this statement: "Every rectal thermometer made by Q-tip is personally tested."
Close your eyes. Say out loud five times, "Thank you, oh thank you, that I do not work in quality control at the Q-tip Complany."

I understand that Q-tip is actually not a brand, but a particular product. None-the-less, we have a tendency to "worship" our work, or feel we are slaves to it. How do we view our work?

Mark Buchanan in his book "The Rest of God" writes, "The opposite of a slave is not a free man. it's a worshiper. The one who is most free is the one who turns the work of his hands into sacrament, into offering. All he makes and all he does are gifts from God, through God, and to God."

1 comment:

Agnes Polyvas said...

I agree with you on looking at other's situations and comparing ourselves to them, as this helps us to see how blessed we are. It is one of the most important 'coping mechanism' I have which helped me my whole life as I struggled through abuse, fleeing from our country, and trying to live under difficult circumstances for many years. No matter how significant or insignificant obstacles I had to face, if I stopped feeling sorry for myself for a second and reflected on how much worse life could be, it helped me to move away from feeling self pity and I regained my courage to keep going.
Thank you for your words of wisdom and teaching.