Thursday, November 23, 2006

Why?

Sometimes we wonder why in the world God is allowing “stuff” to happen to us. “What have we done wrong? Why is he punishing us? What is he trying to teach us?” The Lord reminded me this morning that in these questions the centre of attention is “us” or “me.”

This morning I read In 2 Corinthians 4:7-9, But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.”

When I face difficulties or dilemmas of any kind, whom am I depending on for strength and success? Am I doing what I am doing so that I might somehow get credit and acclaim from others? Am I trying to prove to God how good I am and what great influence I carry? “Look at me God! Are you ever lucky you have me!” I may not say that, but do I live and act like that?

I pray that my life will increasingly reflect God’s presence and God’s power. May He get the credit! After it is because of His work in my life that I am not totally wiped out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked what you said about the 'why' question. I have come to the place in my Christian walk where I no longer ask God - WHY??? I believe that God knows exactly what I need to go through to become more and more like Him. You are right, the process can be painful, but I find that the difficult experiences that I go through, tend to be those which help me to be a support to others around me going through tough times. I believe with all my heart that God really does want the best for me, and my job is to trust Him completely. Now, that's not always so easy!!! But I am practising it on a daily basis! - Jewels