Thursday, November 09, 2006

What's that warning sound?

I thought I heard something as I woke from a good sleep. Trying to fall back to sleep I heard it again. Sure sounded like a beep. It must be the smoke detector. Now what? Try what I might, I could not ignore it.

Obviously the battery in the smoke detector must be low and the beeping was a warning to replace the battery. I had never paid any attention to where the smoke detectors were located in our new home so I began to search for them – without waking Debbie at 5 am. I finally found one all the way downstairs. Was that the one? I heard the beep again but the sound was not coming from this smoke detector. It sounded like it might be coming from the kitchen.

I stumbled upstairs and try as I might, I could not find the smoke detector anywhere. I heard the beep again. It had to be in the kitchen but I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Finally, after about an hour, I discovered that the beep was not from a smoke detector, but from my cell phone. I had a text message waiting for me. I felt so foolish (never mind tired). Our daughter had sent me a text message from Ireland.

I could not help but think of how we listen to God (or not). Do we go stumbling around hearing this warning sound not knowing where it is coming from or what it is all about? Finally we discover that God is trying to get a message to us?

As I am starting to read Deuteronomy in my quest through the Bible, I find the Israelites sometimes took quite some time before listening to God’s instruction for them. May I learn to first check my “text messages” from God before running around in the dark, making a fool of myself.

No comments: