Thursday, December 07, 2006

When the food seems dry

In my personal journaling I have returned to where I left off in reading through the Bible. I like to read the Bible from cover to cover every once in a while. I started this when I was in Bible College and have read through the Bible 5 or 6 times since. I begin in Genesis and read 5 chapters a day. If I miss a day, or two or however many, I simply pick up where I left off. Sometimes I take a break to read other passages, but then return. Eventually I get through the Bible.

Anyway, I am in Deuteronomy right now. It is a review of the Law given to the people of Israel. There are many detail laws on how to deal with accusations of unfaithfulness in marriage, disputes between neighbours, etc. I confess that I find some of these laws somewhat less than inspiring. I read then none-the-less and celebrate the fact that we no longer need to live under the Law, but under the grace of God.

The Law demonstrated that none of us can keep the Law without failing. Therefore, we need God’s grace in our lives. Through the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ we can experience forgiveness and freedom.

No comments: