Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

Today is the beginning of Lent. The observation of the season of Lent has not been a part of my spiritual heritage partly due to the fact that there is no Biblical instruction or even suggestion for such a thing as Lent. Of course, neither is there any indication that we should celebrate Christmas. Celebrating either of these can bring value if kept in perspective and bring us to focus on God, his work in the past, and His desire to work in us at present. It is my aim to follow guided reflections during Lent this year. I intend to journal some of my impressions in this blog.

Joel 2:12 - "Even now," declares the Lord, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weepeing and mourning."
2 Cor. 5:21 - "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteounses of God."
Matt. 6:1 - "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."
Rom. 5:1 - "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God thorugh our Lord Jesus Christ."

What an amazing privilege - we can have peace and complete forgiveness through Jesus Christ. So often we fall into the idea that we have to somehow strive to "pay" for our own sin. That was reality until Jesus Christ voluntarily gave his life the cross to pay the "once for all" price for our sin. As I come to Him, open my heart to him, place my life and trust completely on Him, I am forgiven! Now I desire to live my life as a living statement of gratitude to Him for what he has done in my life!

No comments: