Monday, March 08, 2010

Listening before we speak

As a pastor, I preach and teach, but who are people really hearing? Mark Buchanan put it so well when he wrote in his book "The Rest Of God,"
All our authority is derived. Either God gives us words, or we are only giving opinions. Either God vouches for us, or our credentials are forged. If anyone ever stops to listen to you or me, this had better be solidly in place: Our speaking comes out of our listening. What we say comes out of what we hear. We have to be people who listen, day and night, to God. Our utterances ought to be as Jesus' were: an echoing of the Father, an imitation of him. They ought to be a holy ventriloquism, a sacred pantomime. Peter puts it this way: "If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God" (1 Pet. 4:11). That verse should be paired with Jesus' statement: "He who has ears, let him hear."*
This "advice" is so timely for me because I am taking some time to prepare for preaching and teaching as I read this. May my preaching and teaching be what God desires to say, not simply what I think people should hear.

No comments: